Monday, May 2, 2011

Gotta love the library

Remember that really loooooong (okay, it wasn't really that long) post about the books I was reading?  Well, I forgot to add one and by the time I remembered, I was finished reading it 0.0

I just finished reading Prom Dates from Hell by Rosemary Clement-Moore.  I love this author!  The first book I ready by her was The Splendor Falls and it hooked me.  I began searching for other books written by her and was finally able to start the Maggie Quinn Girl vs. Evil series (the first is Prom Dates).  She also has a blog, full of hilarity and awesome.

Here's what the book says (i.e. the synopsis): 
Maggie Quinn, Girl reporter. Honors student, newspaper staffer, yearbook photographer. Six weeks from graduation and all she wants to do is get out of Avalon High in one piece. Fate seems to have different plans for her.

High school may be a natural breeding ground for evil, but the scent of fire and brimstone is still a little out of the ordinary. It's the distinct smell of sulfur that makes Maggie suspect that something's a bit off. And when realTwilight Zone stuff starts happening to the school's ruling clique—the athletic elite and the head cheerleader and her minions, all of whom happen to be named Jessica—Maggie realizes it's up to her to get in touch with her inner Nancy Drew and ferret out who unleashed the ancient evil before all hell breaks loose.

Maggie has always suspected that prom is the work of the devil, but it looks like her attendance will be mandatory. Sometimes a girl's got to do some pretty undesirable things if she wants to save her town from soul-crushing demons from hell and the cheerleading squad.

Getting this book took some serious planning.  They didn't have it in my local library *tear* or in the library at my university.  In a moment of groundbreaking genius, I looked it up on the library site of my hometown.  One button click and a string of maniacal laughs later (and some pleading for my mum to mail me the book), I was able to read it.  It was a long process, but so worth it.  I'm definitely adding this book to my shelf, and instead of going through the same convoluted process, I'm just going to purchase the Maggie Quinn series from one of my favorite places.  Ever.  Barnes and Noble.

Yes.  There's nothing like the sweet, sweet scent of new books and Starbucks. *drool*

Anyway.  This is one of my new favorite books.  Maggie is a captivating character and I love how snarky she is.  I felt her pain--especially when her computer melts, in the literal sense.  I had trouble putting this book down (curse you, work!), but I somehow managed to finish this in about a day and a half, despite work getting in my way.  I'm looking forward to reading the next two in this series.

No comments: