Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Texas Gothic

I just realized how long (okay, not too long) it had been since I posted something.  So.  SURPRISE!  I'm posting something!  In celebration of this, I've decided to do a book review.

Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore.  Here's the synopsis courtesy of B&N:  Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal.  She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business.  Her summer gig?  Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister.  Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal that it normally is.  Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.


What I say: I got this book and gave it to myself as a birthday present.  I have excellent taste *v*  Moving on.  This was an excellent book!  I stayed up way too late and consumed copious amounts of caffeine the next morning (curse you, early-morning work shift!) to finish this book.  I loved Amy.  If she and I ever met, we'd be friends.  I know how it is to toe the line of normality when family is concerned.  Amy is feisty and loyal, finding ways to talk around the weirdness in her life without too much outright lying.  And, she's smart.  I love smart and sassy heroines.  Fierce.  Anyway.  The plot was excellent and it was nice to share the growing experiences with the characters.  I admit, there were times I wanted to jump into the pages and play Hormone Referee with Amy and Ben.  I have already added this book to the list of books that I will re-read when I'm having a bummer day and feel like procrastinating prioritizing my  homework.  There was a definite conclusion to the book, but I find myself chanting for another book in the Amy Goodnight series.  Hopefully, it'll happen.


On a side note, I loved Amy and Phin's full names.  And, I totally wish they sold bottled Phin Effect.  It would make life so much easier/more awesome.


Oh, and for those of you that got jealous (like me) of the natural shampoo and stuff that Amy uses, never fear!  There's a company called LUSH Cosmetics that sell some pretty amazing products.  I haven't yet tried any of them, but the day will soon come!  And when I do, I'll add a review.  Anyway, the lovely RCM blogged about this company awhile back which is how I heard of it.  So, you can pop on over to her blog by clicking on the super-awesome link and read up on her experience with LUSH.  LUSH lists all of the ingredients contained in their products and provide an explanation as to what it is and does.


Back to the book.


Along with being jealous of the natural soaps, the book infected me with Imusttravelitus (I'm funny) and I started mentally planning a trip to visit Texas during the not-summer months.  I'm originally from Las Vegas but the tales of humidity on top of the heat there have my shying away from a summer jaunt to Texas.  So, the trip will happen...someday.


Now really.  Back to the book.


I loved the developments in the book and how Amy (and eventually Ben) were able to come together (tehehe) and figure out the problem.  Also.  Loved Amy's cousin Daisy.  You'll have to read it to understand.


So, that was a bit of a rambling review.  But, go out and read the book!  You'll be as addicted as I was within the first few pages.  Amy has a gripping voice that pulls you into the story.  Besides, you know you want to relive the days when you hid under the covers with a flashlight so you could finish a book.

1 comment:

Zoraida Cordova said...

I just started it. Excitement!