Sunday, November 20, 2011

Book Thanksgiving---The Diamond Throne


I am thankful for The Diamond Throne by the great David Eddings.  Sparhawk, the main character in this book, was my first crush/love.  Seriously.  I loved him.  I remember the first time I read this book.  I was thirteen and my family had just moved.  I didn't know anyone.  I'm admitting it now, but I had no friends outside of the internet.  My last best friend told me never to call her again because she had found a new best friend.  I was depressed from leaving the city I had come to know.  I missed the kids I had nanny-ed for on a regular basis.  I was nervous about going back to school as my last experience with middle school left a lot to be desired (as in I was pulled out and home schooled because of bullying).  We had just about unpacked everything and my dad took me into the playroom and picked up a beat-up paperback from one of his numerous bookshelves and handed me the book.  He told me to read it, that it would cheer me up, that I would enjoy it.  I took his word for it, desperate for some sort of escape from my sucker of a life.
I devoured the book and fell in love with a fictional character, haha.

The Diamond Throne is one of the only books (series, really, because it's the first in a trilogy which leads into a second trilogy) that I re-read constantly.  I usually pick up this book when I'm feeling low, so if you see this book lying around my house, you can pretty accurately guess my mood.

Anyway.

I love this book.  I love the characters.  I love the interplay between the characters, how they grow, how they suck you into their world.  The first time I read this book, I finished it in a day.  It was summer, so I had nothing else really pressing going on.  Other than moping like a moody teenager.  This book saved me. 

I am thankful for this book and for my dad's understanding.  My mum once told me that I was scarily like my dad.  I took it as a compliment.

So, click off the internet and go read this book.  Believe me.  It's worth the time spent off the interwebs and TV.

No comments: